Sunday, May 6, 2012

Week 12 Getting A-Head in Life

This week was all about what really matters. As we go through everyday life our busy schedules weighs us down, and with that, the important things in life are put behind us. I’m not the biggest fan of my new job but it has a pay-off if you stick it out. My financial standing is important when planning for the future.

On the medical front, my wife and I are still trying to cope with a loss of a family member, which caused some mild spotting for her physically. An appointment was made because she and the medical office shared similar concerns.

I would like to point out that I don’t recognize my child enough in the blogs only because I don’t know what to call him or her. My dear friend, Shannon, decided to call our undetermined child “Baby Williams.” I like it and I will use the reference from now on.

On the day of the appointment, I had a test I had to retake because I was so close to passing it the first time. The test was basic high school math and after completing College Algebra I was in another mind state. The job gave me another day off and let me go early that day.

I am really getting tired of being sent home. I need money not a nap.

I took advantage of the situation and decided to go home and step in the shower because later that evening my wife and I had to attend a happy hour for an organization.

(She did not drink but it sure was fun to tell people why she wasn’t.)

I took the shower and went to take the test. During the second test, I took my time. Surprising myself, I finished the test in the same amount of time as the first one.

When I showed up for happy hour, I got some pleasant news. My wife had received an ultrasound of the baby with photos. I thought it was great news and enjoyed the function.

All I wanted was ultrasound photos when I got home. She pulled the photos out and my stomach dropped like a dip on a rollercoaster.

I saw a little arm in one photo and a leg in another. At the bottom of the picture I saw the head. I don’t know why but the head made everything official but it did. It made me a statistic. I automatically became that proud father that wanted to show everyone that Baby Williams was here, with a noggin and limbs.

Before the pregnancy, I was a different person. Anytime someone would show me an ultrasound, I would brush it off in my mind. I would think, “They’re showing me this and its not born yet. They’re showing me a fetus like its big news.”

What an asshole I was. I made a terrible mistake.

People show you these things because they want you to feel the magic in the air or the blessing God has given us (depending on your point of view). The proof of your offspring combined with the ability to acknowledge it is a powerful type of love and affection. Most men cannot acknowledge what is real in this case and I believe this is why there are so many single mothers.

The future is almost guaranteed with pregnancy and parents must plan ahead for the future.

My wife’s company requires her to spread readership for her site. I usually tag along for kicks but recently I go because I monitor her condition. My wife can easily overwork and overheat herself and that was before she was pregnant.

After sitting at her both all day we had an hour left when she decided to visit the surrounding tables. She found something worth sharing to the class.

Most states have a initiatives to invest in children’s education. The state of Missouri has own program called the 529 Plan.

The 529 Plan is a special investment account created to help families save for higher education. The fund helps the child pay for tuition, room and board and books. The plan also has a “rollover” function for your second or third child in case your first born wants to “find themselves.”

This plan (along with others) has its pros and cons. Nothing is set in stone but why wouldn’t you want to invest into your child? A lot of parents break their neck believing that their child deserves “the best.” I think that philosophy is nuts but this is the best option for Baby Williams. To know that he/she won’t have an excuse to not succeed is a great feeling.

Whatever you can do as a parent to prepare your child’s well being is a step in the right direction. As parents, positive motivation can get a lot of things accomplished than pulling your hair out in fear of the worst when it is too late.

If a photo can change my perspective, I wonder what the power of holding my baby would do to me?

No comments: