Thursday, December 15, 2011

Following for Too Long



Leadership, is vital if you are trying to be someone important. You have to be able to control your group and do it well. I think I am ready.

My father did his best to make sure my brothers and I would be well-rounded men. He taught us before we lead, we must listen, analyze and follow. I think I got all three down pretty good.

Since manufacturing has been my expertise, I usually take what I have learned from businesses and apply them to my daily life. The eight business waste are:
• Unused Creativity/Capability
• Defects
• Inventory
• Over Production
• Waiting
• Excess Motion
• Transportation
• Over Processing

I gave you the secrets. You’re welcome.

How does someone become a leader? Most of them take extra steps, right? When I start working at a new place I take the extra step and point out things that are hurting the company and how to fix it. I hear all the time, “Do not to say anything because managers do not like to hear about what is wrong.”

That is true. I mean, everyone has roses but not many would lean to smell them. But generally, how do supervisors get in these positions? Because they take the extra step to improve a function, therefore, saving the company, thus, the company would invest in that person to stay.

I was recently on an interview with a job I had no interest in and for the first time I was over-qualified for this position. I couldn’t believe it, myself. The job didn’t pa much but I am in a bad spot for money so I was open to it.

The lady who interviewed my had a weird, why-did-he-apply look on her face. She said, “It seems like this isn’t a good fit for you. You seem over-qualified for this position. Would you consider being in a leadership position?”

On an interview, you tell them what they want to hear, so I told her, “yes.” But I had something on the brain when I left.

It never crossed my mind that I would be able to be a supervisor. The signs were always there but I never put the puzzle together. When I am seasoned employee on a site, I always introduce myself and friend newcomers. Even older and veteran employees would ask my opinion on things and they would consider them as real knowledge.

If the offer is on the table and the money sounds ok I will take the job on any shift, even graveyard. It is not because I like to run people that I will take the job.
Personally, I hate micro-management and feel you should be able to do your job without anyone hovering.

Other evidence started to surface. I am an instructor to a workshop for high school students and would coach adolescents in my father’s boxing gym and basketball team. I used to assist coaching gymnastics for girls and boys so I been around children enough to know how to handle damage control.

All of these experiences got me to this point and it is like unused talent. No, it is unused talent.

If nothing else, the possibility of a leadership position will open more doors of opportunity and to no longer be a worker bee. The last job that let me go was a blessing because I saw people working really fast to make numbers and I know they will never surpass a entry level position. Hard work is for the gym.

Goodbye and so long to my old self and standards.

No comments: