Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Week 10: Drunken Nights and Good Bites

So officially the baby weeks start on Saturday and this is where we start the post.

How much time do we have every week? Some people have lots of time while others wish there was 13:00 on the clock. My time is limited as a expecting father. There is so much to do with little time. I have told my wife that this weekend was going to be just us and the dog. I was so wrong.

My best friend calls me up and he finally get a day away from the fiancĂ© and work. He wants to go out and I have just made a promise to my wife. It was problematic because in the last month or two we have been running every weekend. For young-old people this is running us down. But I told him yes just so he didn’t change plans.

I asked my wife about it and she approved but rolled her eyes knowing that we are like Pinky and the Brain getting out of their cage. With booze in me, I am clearly Pinky. But she needs a break sometimes and she decided to go with her mom to see a movie I wasn’t drooling over so it was all good. On the inside, I really wanted some us time but the show must go on.

We down to Soulard and find a great Irish pub across the street from the International Tap House. We eat some good grub to fuel up before we damage our “Sh*t Face” meter. When we arrive across the street we get a round of beers that is over 9%. “Brew-Cocky” was a name of one of them and yes, I believe it was a name spoof of bukkake. Trust me, that term won’t fly too much on my blog.

As the drinks are slammed by me, they are sipped by others. Half the reason was I was thirsty and the other half was because I wasn’t used to the taste and I wanted to get through the drink. The night went on and I did not beat my wife home. I was really buzzed and my wife was just waiting on me. Perhaps she thought we were going to spend to rest of the night. I hit the pillow and passed out.

The next morning after, it was hard to get myself together and discovered my predictions were right. She did wanted to spend some time together. I know that the next weekend was going to be the time when I keep my promise.

The rest of the week went by just fine and usual. My wife had a couple of sick days but fatigue is her biggest hurdle. She is looking for that day where the ladies tell her she is going to wake up with a burst of energy. By Thursday the job sent me home for Friday, which I won’t complain. Who wouldn’t want a Friday off? I was able to make an appointment for a dentist. I haven’t been in 9 years and I was expecting they were going to pull teeth.

On Friday I went to Florissant Family Dental. It was the best experience I ever had with my teeth. They got me in fast and I had a full look and X-ray done. I really went in because my gums were bleeding and I had a tooth in the front that was scaring me. It darkening at the gums and I needed some help. They performed a procedure that was more intense than a cleaning. So intense that my insurance only covers it once, ever. They do this only because you are never supposed to let your mouth get the that bad.

Pictures were taken before anything was done and I can see how bad things were. I have a wisdom tooth on my right side that grew parallel to the back molar. I caused me problems for years with eating popcorn getting stuck in a triangle-shaped gum reigon. Before getting the special clean, I talked to the doctor about my next visit. It seems during 9 years of dental exile, I have a couple of cavities and I need some other fillings refilled to avoid breakage. And I am getting that tooth pulled.

My cleaning only gave me a little discomfort as my new hygienist, Alicia, told me what she was doing and how to keep my mouth in shape until the next visit. I could finally feel my teeth from the inside. I felt so weird.

Hours after the dentist, my mother-in-law came over after we discover that my wife’s uncle was in the hospital from stomach pain. It sounded serious. We had plans to a Red Robin date but were joined by our Ma and Aunt. It was a good dinner but the visit to the doctor was eerie.

I saw my wife’s uncle in the ICU and he looked exhausted. It was more than losing a couple hours of sleep or a long day at work. He looked like he was ready for a long slumber. I asked him if he was sleep. He told me he hasn’t slept in 2 weeks. That would explain his fatigued look.

We didn’t stay long because we wanted him to get some rest. We went home thinking of the worse. I tried my best to comfort my wife but grief has set its course. I figured it wasn’t going to be a good outcome but everyone wants to hold on to positivity through the dark times.

Saturday was the day I was waiting for. We had a good breakfast and dinner followed by my wife’s peach cobbler. I mean, what more could a man ask for? We rented some redbox movies, one chick flick and a comedy. It was a great end to a pregnancy week and good way to start a new one. Sunday wasn’t what I expected it to be.

TO BE CONTINUED….

No comments: