Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Week 9: The Wreckage


This week became hard real fast. It wasn’t something that I expected and I wish I saw coming.

Monday:

This day started my painful week when I had to attend required OSHAA training because I work in construction. I did not eat after I got off work because I didn’t pack enough. I figured I would be in and out of this class and dinner would be waiting.

Little did I know, the class was from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm after working a physical job from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. Calculations confirm I had been away from home for more than 14 hours including the hour I left to get to work. Half of dinner was prepare when my wife baked lovely baked n’ breaded turkey breast before she had to leave for a work related issue. So, I ended up missing her before she left. I baked some potatoes to complete the other half of dinner.

I think her turkey was the better half. BA-ZING!

She arrived home early and as we completed our usual nightly rituals, I ended up staying up to midnight because I fell for the one line my wife always gets me with: “You’re not gonna wait up for me?”

She is 9 weeks pregnant. Do you think I am going to tell her no? I may be ignorant but I’m not stupid.

Tuesday:

Maybe less than 5 hours of sleep I am back up and ready for some hard work at the construction site. By lunch the BIG boss come down and we go over some issues with other trades that are around us. Long story short, we have nothing to do until others complete their projects.

So what am I supposed to do in the mean time? The BIG boss orders the crew to go home for the rest of the week.

This is only Tuesday and I am no on salary. 16 hours never looks good on a pay- check. What is that gas money?

By hearing this news, I decided to forfeit my weekly allowance to compensate for the lost money. Also, I save an additional $50 by not driving for the week so I get back half of what I lost. The best thing is that I get paid every week and we are doing fine on our finances so that a bump like this isn’t a catastrophe.

Wednesday:

I woke up late, which made up for lost sleep. But because I am not working doesn’t stop housework from being an obstacle.

At 5:00 pm I had to take another class to prep for a mandatory math test to get me into electrical training at the end of the summer. I dread going in and it was boring for the whole two hours. The instructor barely knew the material and I already passed college algebra previously.

When I arrive at home my dog turns on the puppy time. I really think he was coo-coo for cocoa puffs. This would not be a problem if I hadn’t had a handful of other things hitting me at once. And for the first time during the pregnancy, I raised my voice and my wife had to hear it. I felt really terrible about it and, yet again, another restless night.

Thursday:

Finally I get to present you a great day. It’s daddy’s first visit to the doctor.

(YAYYY!!!)

After apologizing to my wife, she forgave me and we moved on unlike most arguments. We went to the doctor’s office and I ran into the typical doctor’s office. It was typical in the sense that it the room was filled with women.

Before anyone says anything, it was a women’s clinic. But seriously, how many men go to the doctor for a check –up instead of unbearable pain? I am guilty of it, hell, I haven’t been to the dentist in 9 years. YUK! I know…

Anyways, I sit there forever and find my archenemy, the person with a hands-free device in the waiting room. For the love of Justin Beiber, notice how you talk without putting something to your ear and you talk louder. Are you that insecure?

Finally, the doctor calls me in and brings me up to speed. First, she told my wife she HIV-negative (always glad to hear that). Her blood pressure was ok and she lost some weight, due to morning sickness. But we now know that she has the sickle cell trait, a mystery she and her mother discussed for years.

I was questioned about my family history and sickle cell is not a common topic among mine and because I don’t know, I am required to make a doctor’s appointment to find out. Now I have no other choice but to make a trip to the doctor. We also was asked about testing for an extra chromosome. This means that in any pregnancy, the egg or sperm could have latched on an extra chromosome and would be problems during pregnancy. The jury is still out on that.

Friday:

It was a FRY-Day. My wife and I had a small fish fry to give a farewell to dear friend, Shannon. She is the very friend you need in life to let you know that being different and standing out can be totally awesome. It’s a lot different than shaving one side of your head or wearing a parka in August. She has no problem being interested in anything, but kids. And as good friends, my wife and I did it for her. I LOVE SHANNON. By the way there will be a Women’s women post soon of all of the women who in inspire me to be a real man. Saturday will be on the next post.

Peace and quiet.

1 comment:

Shannon Jewitt said...

Aww, my little heart is bursting with joy! I'm going to miss the two of you like CRAZY! I can't wait to see you and Baby Williams in November!